Friday 25 March 2011

Snakes, Birds, Toads and Boar!

Been a hectic few weeks, but I have managed to get out now and then with the camera! Here are a few pics from my time in the Forest of Dean over the last month.


This is a grey heron and it was by far one of the largest I have ever seen, with a wingspan of at least 6 feet!





Toads everywhere and I was spoilt for choice, although I did have to lye in the mud for this shot!





My first adder shot of 2011. A male, which proved very tricky to get close too!





And finally a wild boar sow, complete with piglets!

I spotted their movement from a distance and then proceeded to "try" and get close, using the trees as cover. There were lots of brambles etc all around, which pushed me to get even closer for a clearer shot, bad idea and I should have known better.
Suddenly one of the piglets spotted me and bolted straight back to mum, which left me looking like an idiot for pushing my luck! They disappeared over a small hill, so I quietly crept up and as I approached the top, the sound was like a thousand squirrels jumping around in the leaf litter.
As I peered over the top I could see the piglets rooting around, so I brought the camera up to my eye. This is when I heard it! A grunt from the sow - she was to my right with her head bowed, staring straight at me, no more than 6 metres away!
As I was lying on the ground, I thought to myself "I now look smaller than her and she is probably deciding what action to take against me", so I quickly got up to the crouched position. This was not a deterrent as she then ran about 3 metres towards me and stopped. The piglets soon joined her and this is when I got this photograph.
I tried to move to get the branch out of the frame, but as I did she legged it with piglets closely behind.
I did find them again, but it was obvious that my presence was causing her stress and concern, so I took a few pics and left them to forage in peace.



Rob

2 comments:

  1. Rob,

    Cool boar photo! be careful. I heard the shortest time a hiker took walking the Appalachian trail in Georgia, he was treed by boars for two hours. Must have made him walk a little faster than most after being treed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photo! And what an 'adder encounter' too.

    ReplyDelete